All applicants are urged to visit the link below to ascertain whether they need to apply for a visa to travel to Japan as a temporary visitor (less than 90 days) or transit Japan (less than 90 days). Some nationalities, including Australians, do not require a visa for these purposes.
Transit (Up to 15 days) (Note; if you intend to see friends or stay with friends while in Japan you should apply for a Temporary Visitor Visa, not a Transit Visa; a double transit visa is possible; please contact the Embassy for further details)The following must be submitted with the application for the visa:
- A valid passport
- Evidence that you hold a valid Australian visa. This may be obtained by visiting the VEVO Section of the website of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. The link is http://www.immi.gov.au/Services/Pages/vevo/vevo-overview.aspx
- One completed visa application form (Sample)
- One passport sized photo. (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm or 2in. x 2in.; taken within the past 6 months)
- Flight details (full flight details from an accredited travel agent or airline for your trip from Australia to Japan and on to a third country
*We do not require the purchase of tickets, but we do require a confirmed reservation. We are not responsible for tickets which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.
- Bank statement for your savings or investment account with your full name and current Canberra address on it. You must have $100 for every day that you plan to be in Japan. Please take your statement to the bank to have it stamped by the bank officer.
- Accommodation details. We need all the confirmed bookings for your stay in Japan from the hotel/hotels’ websites or an on-line booking website.
- A visa for the next country that you will visit after Japan.
- Please remember to apply for a Temporary Visitor Visa if you are going to see or stay with friends while in Japan or if you are transiting Japan for longer than 15 days.
- Student ID (If applicable)
- - Additional documents may be required if necessary.
- The minimum processing time is 1 working week. It might take longer if additional documentation is required.
- There is NO priority processing service, although we are understanding if a visa needs to be issued urgently because of humanitarian considerations, including a family emergency. Please try to give the Embassy sufficient time to process your application..
- A Transit Visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. An applicant may therefore apply for his or her visa within 3 months prior to entering Japan.
- Telephone assistance is available on 02-6273-3244, Monday-Friday, except holidays, from 9:00 to 12:30 and 1:30 to 5:00 if you have any enquiries. Please try to make your enquiry be telephone instead of E-mail.