All applicants are urged to visit the link below to ascertain whether they need to apply for a visa to travel to Japan as a temporary visitor (less than 90 days) or transit Japan (less than 90 days). Some nationalities, including Australians, do not require a visa for these purposes.
Transit (Up to 15 days) (Note; if you intend to see friends or stay with friends while in Japan you should apply for a Temporary Visitor Visa, not a Transit Visa; a double transit visa is possible; please contact the Embassy for further details)The following must be submitted with the application for the visa:
*We do not require the purchase of tickets, but we do require a confirmed reservation. We are not responsible for tickets which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.
- Additional documents may be required if necessary.
- The minimum processing time is 1 working week. It might take longer if additional documentation is required.
- There is NO priority processing service, although we are understanding if a visa needs to be issued urgently because of humanitarian considerations, including a family emergency. Please try to give the Embassy sufficient time to process your application..
- A Transit Visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. An applicant may therefore apply for his or her visa within 3 months prior to entering Japan.
- Telephone assistance is available on 02-6273-3244, Monday-Friday, except holidays, from 9:00 to 12:30 and 1:30 to 5:00 if you have any enquiries. Please try to make your enquiry be telephone instead of E-mail.