VISA - Frequently Asked Questions

Note: This information is designed as guide only and does not contain detailed information. If you require further explanation, please contact the Embassy of Japan (02-62733244) or one of the Consulates-General of Japan in Australia, whose contact details may be found on the Consulates-General of Japan section of this website. This information is for Australian passport holders.

Q. As an Australian citizen with an Australian passport, do I require a tourist visa to enter Japan?
A. No. Australians who enter Japan as tourists may stay for up to 90 days as long as they hold an Australian passport which remains valid during their stay and is still valid when departing Japan. The remaining period of validity on your passport does not have to be at least six months. Tourists in Japan may not undertake any form of work, paid or unpaid.

Q. I would like to work in Japan. How can I get a visa to work in Japan?
A. In order to get a visa to work in Japan, you must first find a potential employer who is willing to act as your sponsor and arrange for your Certificate of Eligibility. If you then qualify for a visa, one will be issued by an overseas Japanese diplomatic mission.

Q. Once I am in Japan, can I change my entry status? For example, can I change from a tourist to a work visa?
A. No. Once you are in Japan you cannot in principle change your visa. If you want to work in Japan you must obtain a working visa from a Japanese diplomatic mission in Australia or in a third country.