Visa Application for business, work, study, working holiday with ERFS Certificate (受付済書)


Visa exemption measures for 68 countries/ regions (i.e. Australia) have resumed from 12:00AM October 11th 2022. For further details, please see this link (JP/EN) 

To apply for the visas below after 11th October, please see here for short term visas and here for long stays
The below measures are no longer in effect.

If you wish to apply for a visa as a family member of a Japanese person or someone living in Japan, or enter Japan for humanitarian reasons (such as medical treatment etc.) please see this page or contact us.

To apply for visas with an Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) (link in Japanese) registration certificate from your receiving organisation, please read on.

  • The following information is for applicants in the ACT (Canberra).  If you live elsewhere, see here
  • Please ensure you bring all required documents (including copies of documents as requested) to apply as the Embassy does not offer a printing service.
  • Please ensure copies are legible. 

1. Information for applicants in the ACT (Canberra):

A. Short-term Business Visa for passport holders of 68 countries/ regions (i.e. Australia, New Zealand, UK, USA) (*1)

To enter Japan for up to 90 days on business related purposes without a Certificate of Eligiblity, for passport holders from countries previously covered by the currently paused visa exemption schemes.
  • (i) Visa application form (with photo attached)
  • (ii) Valid passport
  • (iii) Copy of passport photo page
  • (iv) Your certificate from the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) applied for by your receiving organisation (link in Japanese) 
  • (v) Your valid long-term visa for Australia if you are not an Australian citizen
  • For a Multiple-Entry Short Stay visa: To apply for a multiple-entry short stay visa (valid for one year):
  • (vi) ERFS certificate with "Yes" selected for "Intention of applying for Multiple Entry Visa"
  • (vii) Request for a Multiple-Entry Visa (English Japanese)

B. Short-term Business Visa for passport holders from other countries/regions

  • (i) Visa application form (with photo attached)
  • (ii) Valid passport
  • (iii) Copy of passport photo page
  • (iv) Your valid long-term visa for Australia if you are not an Australian citizen
  • (v) Flight booking confirmation (please do not buy tickets until you have received your visa)
  • (vi) A letter from the applicant's company in Australia
  • (Please include the applicant’s full name, position, passport number, purpose and duration of the business trip. In addition to this, describe the company's financial responsibility for the expenses incurred during the trip)
  Prepared by inviting person/guarantor in Japan:
  • (vii) Letter of Invitation
  • (viii) List of Visa Applicants (when there are multiple applicants)
  • (ix) Itinerary during stay in Japan
  • (x) Your certificate from the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) certificate applied for by your receiving organisation (link in Japanese) 
  If the Japanese guarantor is paying for the travel expenses, the following documents should also be prepared:
  • (xi) Letter of guarantee
  • (xii) A certified copy of the incorporation register or an overview of the company or organization
  **You can download documents and find more information on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website.

C. Work or Long-Term Visa Application with a Certificate of Eligibility

*Some of the CoE categories like Permanent Resident, Spouse of Japanese National, Spouse of Permanent Resident, Long Term Resident, Dependent, Designated Activities are not part of the ERFS certificate scheme. Please see this page for application details instead.

D. Working Holiday Visa

  • Please see the information page here
Further documents for applications may be requested as necessary.

For application procedures in other areas of Australia than the ACT, please confirm details with your appropriate diplomatic mission.


2. To enter Japan

Please see here for information on entry to Japan at this time. 

3. Application method for Canberra Residents

Please bring the documents  as confirmed above to the Embassy between 9:00-12:00 or 14:00-16:30 during weekdays. You do not require a booking. 
If you live elsewhere, please confirm your application and any necessary bookings or other procedures with your 
local diplomatic mission. We recommend to check ahead of time where you should apply and confirm the visa processing time. 

 ●If you are not an Australian passport holder, you may require other documentation, so please call us at (02) 6273 3244 to discuss your application.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I get a Certificate of Eligibility?
 A Certificate of Eligiblity (CoE, 在留資格認定証明書, zairyuushikaku nintei shoumeisho) is applied for by your sponsor in Japan  on your behalf. For more details see the Japanese Immigration Services page on Certificate of Eligibility.

2. My Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) is older than 3 months. Can I still use it?
 Please see here (Japanese Immigration Services website) for information on CoE validity at this time.  Your sponsor will need to prepare the Declaration Certificate described in the guidelines if applicable. 

3. How can I get an Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) certificate (link in Japanese)? 
 The ERFS certificate is applied for by your receiving organisation via the Ministry of Health. Your receiving organisation provides support in providing information on necessary quarantine measures when entering Japan and securing accommodations for quarantine, confirming quarantines and health statuses. For more information about the ERFS certificate, see page 26 of the Ministry's FAQ (Updated May 26th).

Please feel free to contact us on 02 6273 3244 or at if you have any questions not answered on this page. If you live outside of the ACT, please contact the appropriate diplomatic mission for your area.

For further information, please see the Ministry of Foreign Affair's page Application for Visa for foreign nationals eligible for Phased Measures toward Resuming Cross-Border Travel.