Current procedure of entry into Japan (PCR Test Certificate, Visa Application)


Travellers from Australia (including those with a valid re-entry permit and Japanese nationals) currently require a printed copy of a negative PCR test certificate and an Individual Written Pledge to enter Japan.

You will also need to fill out a questionnaire and install some smart phone applications, so please read the following information carefully.

At this time, all travelers are subject to these requirements regardless of whether they have been vaccinated.

Visa exemption measures for Australian passport holders have been paused.
Australian passport holders and travellers from Australia currently need a valid visa to enter Japan.
For details, see here.


1. Negative PCR Test Certificate

A medical institution should fill in this format of test certificate (Word document).

The nasal swab sample must be taken within the 72 hours before your scheduled departure time from Australia.
For example, if your flight leaves from Sydney at 20:00 on Thursday, your testing window begins at 20:00 on Monday.

Please see here for a list of medical institutions in Australia which can fill out the test certificate.

For Canberra residents: If you are a Canberra resident or otherwise located far away from the listed clinics, please contact one of the clinics marked "Nationwide" for a telehealth consulation. They can then direct you to a local clinic for the actual testing. 

*When entering Japan by transiting at an airport in another country, the requirements for the COVID-19 inspection certificate and inspection agency may be set separately by that airport as well. Please check the information published by the airport or the government of the country concerned.

From March 19th, you cannot board a flight to Japan or enter Japan without a negative PCR test certificate. Please see here for details. 

FAQ of Certificate of Testing for Entering Japan (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)

2. Individual Written Pledge

Please fill out and bring an Individual Written Pledge to enter Japan.

In case of violating the terms of the Individual Written Pledge, you may be subject to detention under Quarantine Act and your status of residence, name, nationality and other information relevant to public health may be made public.
Your status of residence may be revoked and deportation procedures may also apply.

For more details, please see here (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

3. Quarantine in Japan

Please enter with:
(1) your passport and visa 
(2) a copy of the Individual Written Pledge 
(3) your negative PCR Test Certificate *You will be unable to enter Japan from March 19th without this certificate

You will need to quarantine for 10 days (with at least three at a designated government quarantine area).

Please see our latest COVID-19 updates for more information (link in Japanese).

You must not use any kind of mass or public transport (taxi, domestic flights, ferry, bus, train etc.) during your self-isolation or to get to the place where you will self-isolate.

Please use a private car (your family may pick you up) or a rental car or a specific service.

For more information, see here at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's website: FAQ at the Health Monitoring Center for Overseas Entrants (HCO)

To call the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare directly to enquire about quarantine or border measures, please see the numbers below.

MHLW COVID-19 Call Center +81 120-565-653 
English, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish: 9:00-21:00、Thai: 9:00-18:00、Vietnamese: 10:00-19:00

Border Enforcement Measures Call Centers
+81 120-220-027 /+81 120-248-668 /+81 120-110-857 / +8150-1751-2158+81 50-1751-2158
For general questions on application. Open everyday 9:00-21:00.

4. Questionnaire and Smartphone Apps

When you enter Japan, please fill out this questionnaire.

You must also retain the location data on your mobile phone and provide it to the health centers or other institutions, if requested, and install applications for COVID-19 contact tracing. If you do not have a smart phone, you will need to rent one at the airport. Further quarantine measures may apply as directed by health officers.

Please see this brochure for how to install the necessary apps on your phone and other information. 

For further details from the Ministry of Health, please see here

5. Leaving Australia as a citizen or permanent resident

Please check the Australian Department of Home Affairs website and your state government website for information.