Re-entry of foreign nationals from Australia who possess the status of residence in Japan


Foreign nationals who possess a valid residence card and re-entry permit (including special re-entry permit) and are re-entering Japan from Australia can enter Japan with a negative PCR Test certificate and an Individual Written Pledge to enter Japan. 

You will need to quarantine and not use mass or public transport upon arrival, so please read the details below. 

1. Negative PCR Test Certificate

A medical institution should fill in this format of test certificate (Word document).

The nasal swab sample must be taken within the 72 hours before your scheduled departure time from Australia.
For example, if your flight leaves from Sydney at 20:00 on Thursday, your testing window begins at 20:00 on Monday.

Please see here for a list of medical institutions in Australia which can fill out the test certificate.

For more information, please see here (Ministry of Foreign Affairs link).

From March 19th, you cannot board a flight to Japan or enter Japan without a negative PCR test certificate. Please see here for details. 

2. Individual Written Pledge

Please fill out and bring an Individual Written Pledge to enter Japan.

In case of violating the terms of the Individual Written Pledge, you may be subject to detention under Quarantine Act and your status of residence, name, nationality and other information relevant to public health may be made public.

Your status of residence may be revoked and deportation procedures may also apply.

For more details, please see here (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

Those who do not submit the “Written Pledge” are requested to stay at a location designated by the Chief of the Quarantine Station (only at the accommodation booked by the quarantine office) for 14 days.

3. Quarantine in Japan (Self-Isolation)

Please enter with:
(1) your passport, visa and valid re-entry permit 
(2) a copy of the Individual Written Pledge 
(3) your negative PCR Test Certificate *You will be unable to enter Japan from March 19th without this certificate
After entering Japan you must self-isolate at home or a hotel for a period of 14 days.

You must not use any kind of mass or public transport (taxi, domestic flights, ferry, bus, train etc.) during your self-isolation or to get to the place where you will self-isolate.

Please use a private car (your family may pick you up) or a rental car or a specific service.

For more information, see here at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's website: (Japanese only)

You must also retain the location data on your mobile phone and provide it to the health centers or other institutions, if requested, and install applications for COVID-19 contact tracing. If you do not have a smart phone, you will need to rent one at the airport. Further quarantine measures may apply as directed by health officers. For more details, please see here. 

4. Further Questions

Please carefully read the above information and the links on the Ministry websites before contacting us. 
You can call on (02) 6273 3244 or email us at if you have any questions.

If you are not a Canberra resident, please contact the appropriate Consulate for enquiries.

5. Leaving Australia as an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, you will require an exemption from the Australian government to travel. Please see here for details. 

It is recommended to apply for the exemption at least three weeks from your intended travel date.

If you are normally a resident in another country (i.e. Japan), you may not require an exemption, but we recommend you check directly with the Department of Home Affairs on their COVID-19 Hotline at 1800 020 080 or their immigration information line at 131 881.