The Embassy of Japan is seeking a full-time gardener to work at the Ambassador's Residence. The successful applicant will be involved in the general gardening of the Residence and Embassy.
The main responsibility of this position is maintaining the Ambassador's Residence and Embassy grounds.
- Maintain lawns to a show level.
- Prune/Trim hedges and shrubs.
- Weed gardens, remove/replace dead plants.
- Spray chemicals and apply fertilizer.
- Remove rubbish, fallen leaves and dead animals such as birds, fish, etc.
- Clean roof and gutters of the Residence, Embassy and carports.
- Clean entrances, driveways, paths and car parks regularly.
- Maintain koi pond, teahouse and tennis courts in good condition.
- Move furniture at the Residence and the Embassy when required.
- Maintain irrigation systems.
- Keep record and manage garden plans.
- Maintain gardening tools, equipment and machinery.
- Other relevant duties as directed.
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Valid WH & S Certificate
- Work Health and Safety
- First Aid Certificate
- Ability to discharge duties with minimal supervision and exercise discretion
- An understanding of security issues as they relate to diplomatic representation in Canberra
Desirable Selection Criteria:
- Previous experience
- Certificate III in Horticulture or equivalent
- AQF-3 Chemical Accreditation or equivalent
- Certificate II in Outdoor Power Equipment or equivalent (Small engine maintenance)
- Knowledge and/or appreciation of the geography and culture of Japan
Related experience in a similar position and knowledge of Japanese garden is beneficial. The occupant must be well presented and be able to communicate effectively at all levels. Please specify year of experience along with resume and one page cover letter outlining your suitability in your application.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Administrative Section on firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high number of candidates, only successful applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: Close of business 23rd of November 2018