IntroductionAs a visitor to Japan you are required to perform certain Customs procedures which are an important part of entry into and departure from the country. Japan Customs, which is an internal bureau of Japan's Ministry of Finance, administers and collects duties levied by the Japanese government on imported goods. They appropriate the collection of taxes, ensure a safe and secure society and facilitate trade.
Once you have arrived in Japan, you will be required to fill in a Customs Declaration Form, about your belongings. Custom Declaration Forms are available on airplanes and ships or in the Customs inspection area of the airport or seaport.
- If you are over the customs allowance, you will be required to pay duties and/or taxes. Otherwise the items/articles will be confiscated.
- If you are caught with prohibited articles you will be arrested.
- There are also certain rules and procedures that must be followed if you wish to send items by post to Japan from Australia. If the package exceeds the customs allowance, duties and taxes will need to be paid by the recipient of the package in Japan.
Formal customs procedures are required for the following items:
- Prohibited or Restricted articles
- Goods exceeding duty-free allowance
- Alcohol: 3 bottles (760ml/bottle) of alcoholic beverages
- Cigarettes: 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 10 individual packages of Heat-not-Burn tobacco or 250 g of other tobacco products
- 2 ounces of perfume
- Goods for personal use that were purchased abroad with a total market value not exceeding ￥10,000
- Japan Customs Homepage
- Procedures of Passenger Clearance
- Customs Declaration Form
- Customs Guide for Visitors
- Customs Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 1204 Duty Rates for Major Products
- 2001 Articles prohibited from importation
- 3105 Importation of Alcoholic Beverages
- 5004 Consumption Tax Exemption for Exports (for Non-residents/Visitors)
- 6101 Outline of Customs Procedures for International Postal Items
- 7104 Duty-Free Allowance for Accompanied Personal Effects of Overseas Travelers
Contact InformationIf you have any further custom enquiries, after reading the above information, please direct them to the Customs Counselors’ in Japan. The most popular contact information can be found below.
Tokyo Customs (Narita, Haneda)
Telephone: +81 3 3529 0700
Osaka Customs (Kansai International)
Telephone: +81 6 6576 3001
Telephone: +81 52 654 4100
Tokyo Customs Office for Overseas Mail
Telephone: +81 3 5665 3755