Work or Long-Term Visa

Notice: From the 17th of March, Certificates of Eligibility can be issued digitally and processed as copies. You no longer require the original to apply for your visa. If your CoE was issued as a physical document, you will still need the original to enter Japan

The following information is for applicants wishing to apply for a long term visa. If you will be paid by a Japanese company in Japan (work in Japan) or stay for longer than three months, you must obtain a visa. Most long term visas require a Certificate of Eligibility, which is issued by the Japanese Immigration Agency and applied for with your sponsor (spouse or employer etc.) or a proxy (relatives or legal representative etc.) in Japan at their nearest Regional Immigration Bureau

For information about applying for a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE), please check the Japanese Immigration Agency’s website. The Embassy does not issue CoEs. 

For more detailed information about what types of visas are available for long-term stay, please see the Ministry of Foreign Affair’s Work or Long-Term Stay page.

For stays for less than 90 days for purposes such as business or tourism, please check the temporary visitor visa page or the visa exemption page depending on what country’s passport you hold.

1. Application Documents

  1. Visa application form (with 45mm ×35mm (or approximate size) photograph no older than 6 months)
  2. Passport
  3. Copy of passport photo page
  4.  Your valid long-term visa for Australia if you are not an Australian citizen (VEVO
  5. Copy of your CoE (PDF print-out of physical document OR digital issuance letter)

Applying in Canberra

Applicants living in Canberra (or surrounds) should bring their application documents to the Embassy between 9:00-12:00 or 14:00-16:30 on weekdays. We do not offer any printing service, and may request further documents as necessary. Please contact us ahead of time if you are unsure you have the correct documents. You do not require a booking to apply. 

Applying elsewhere in Australia

If you live elsewhere, please confirm your application and any necessary bookings or other procedures with your local diplomatic mission. We recommend to check ahead of time where you should apply and confirm the visa processing time.

2. Application without Certificate of Eligibility for Spouse/Child of Japanese

In principle, you should obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for a Spouse/Child of Japanese. If it is not possible to obtain a CoE (for example, you have no relatives in Japan who can get the document for you), we may be able to consider an alternative application arrangement, but please consult with us first.
  1. Visa application form (with passport/ID quality photo attached)
  2. Passport
  3. Copy of your passport photo page
  4.  Your valid long-term visa for Australia if you are not an Australian citizen (VEVO)
  5. Flight details (full flight ticket or booking from an accredited travel agent or airline) *We are not responsible for tickets which may become unusable due to the delay or denial of a visa.
  6.  An official original copy of the Japanese spouse’s or parent’s family register (Koseki Tohon), issued in the last three months
  7. An official copy of the Japanese spouse’s or parent’s certificate of residence (Jumin Hyo). If your Japanese relative lives in Australia and does not have one it may be omitted.
  8. A copy of your spouse's or parent’s Japanese passport
  9. A Letter of Guarantee from your spouse or parent. If your Japanese spouse lives with you in Australia, please telephone the Embassy's Consular Section on 02 6273 3244 during office hours for alternative arrangements.
  10. Documents providing your guarantor's financial capabilities (such as certificate of income or Tax payment showing annual income, etc.). If your spouse lives with you in Australia you can meet this requirement by submitting your own bank statement, salary slip, ATO income tax notification or superannuation documentation.

3. Highly skilled professional visa (J-Skip and J-Find)

The Special Highly Skilled Professional (J-Skip) and Future Creation Individual (J-Find) visa programs began in April 2023. 

The Special Highly Skilled Professional (J-Skip) category is intended for highly skilled foreign professionals with a certain level of educational background, work history and annual income, allowing them to skip the current points system.
The Designated activities (J-Find) category is intended for future creation indivduals who have graduated from specific top universities.

For application and eligibility criteria, please see the Ministry of Foreign Affairs sites below: 

See also: About J-Skip and J-Find (Immigration Services Agency, link in Japanese)


4. Further Application Details

  • Minimum processing time: 1 week (5 working days)
  • It may take longer if additional documents are required or if applying without a CoE.
  • There is NO priority processing service except in specific humanitarian circumstances. Please ensure you apply in time for your planned departure.
  • Visas are valid for entry for 3 months, as is your Certificate of Eligibility. An applicant may therefore apply for their visa 3 months prior to entering Japan and must enter before both your Certificate of Eligibility and visa validity expires.
  • Visas are granted according to your Certificate of Eligibility, or for periods of 5 years, 3 years, 1 year, 6 months, 3 months or 15 days depending on the visa type. For more detailed information, please see the Ministry of Foreign Affair’s Work or Long-Term Stay page.

5. Residence Card and Re-entry Permit

Entrants to Japan on a long-term visa will receive a Residence Card from the Government of Japan and must carry it at all times. If you arrive at Narita, Haneda, Chubu (Nagoya) or Kansai Airport you can receive your Residence Card upon arrival. If you plan to arrive at another airport you can apply for and receive your Residence Card at an Immigration Office in Japan. 

Please ensure to maintain the validity period of your residence card, re-entry permit (applied for at Immigration Office) or special re-entry permit (applied for at airport on departure) while you are outside of Japan in order to maintain your visa status. You may apply for an extension of your re-entry permit in some cases; please contact us to confirm your situation.