Visa Enquiries & FAQ


Important Information for Visa Applicants

The Embassy of Japan looks after visa applicants who live in the ACT or nearby only. If you live elsewhere, please consult with the diplomatic mission for that area.

General Information

To download a Visa Application Form, used for all visa applications, please click here. Please see here for a sample.

Visa Fees

Please see here for visa fees from April 1st 2024- March 31st 2025.

Criteria of Visa Issuance

A Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant, when they meet all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.

1. The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to re-entry to a country of their nationality or a country of their residence.

2. All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.

3. The activities to be engaged in Japan/the civil status or the position of the applicant/the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. hereinafter referred to as the “Immigration Control Act”)

4. The applicant does not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.

Frequently Asked Questions

Note: This information is designed as a guide only and does not contain detailed information. If you require further explanation, please contact the Embassy of Japan or one of the Consulates-General of Japan in Australia. This information is for Australian passport holders.

Q. As an Australian citizen with an Australian passport, do I require a tourist visa to enter Japan?
A. No. Australians who enter Japan as tourists may stay for up to 90 days as long as they hold an Australian passport which remains valid during their stay and is still valid when departing Japan. Tourists in Japan may not undertake any form of work, paid or unpaid.

Q. Do I need at least six months validity left on my passport to enter Japan?
A. The remaining period of validity on your passport does not have to be at least six months. Please ensure your passport is valid for your trip and return. We recommend that you check the regulations of your airline before travelling with less than six months passport validity.

Q. I would like to work in Japan. How can I get a visa to work in Japan?
A. In order to get a visa to work in Japan, you must first find a potential employer who is willing to act as your sponsor and arrange for your Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). You can then use this document to apply for a visa at your local Japanese diplomatic mission. We cannot assist with sponsorship or job searching. 

Q. Once I am in Japan, can I change my entry status? For example, can I change from a tourist to a work visa?
A. No. Once you are in Japan, in principle you cannot change your visa. If you want to work in Japan you must use a Certificate of Eligibility to obtain a working visa from a Japanese diplomatic mission in Australia or in a third country.

Q. How can I get a multi-entry visa?
A. For information on multi-entry visas, please check the Ministry of Foreign Affair's visa page according to your country then contact the mission you will apply at to confirm documents.

Consulates-General of Japan and where to contact

ACT residents should contact the:
  Embassy of Japan, Canberra
  Embassy of Japan
  112 Empire Circuit
  Yarralumla ACT 2600
  Telephone: (02) 6273-3244

NSW and NT residents should contact the:
  Consulate-General of Japan
  Level 12, 1 O’Connell Street
  Sydney NSW 2000
  Phone: (02) 9250-1000

WA residents should contact the:
  Consulate-General of Japan in Perth
  Consulate-General of Japan
  U22/Level 2
  111 Colin Street
  West Perth WA 6005
  Telephone: (08) 9480-1800

QLD residents should contact the:
  Consulate-General of Japan in Brisbane
  Consulate-General of Japan
  17th Floor
  12 Creek Street
  Brisbane QLD 4000
  Telephone: (07) 3221-5188

Cairns-area residents should contact the:
  Consulate-General of Japan in Cairns
  Consulate General of Japan, Cairns
  Level 15, Cairns Corporate Tower
  15 Lake Street
  Cairns QLD 4870
  Telephone: (07) 4051-5177

VIC, TAS and SA residents should contact the:
  Consulate-General of Japan in Melbourne
  25th Floor,
  570 Bourke Street
  Melbourne VIC 3000
  Tel: (03) 9679-4510 [VISA & Consular]
  Tel: (03) 9679-4560 [Information & Culture]

Regional Immigration Bureaus in Japan